Expectations for Volunteers
Book Buddies is a social and highly interactive program. Volunteers will be expected to:
-Pledge to meet with a young reader (grades 1-3) five times in five weeks (one hour each time)
- Serve as role models in the Library,
- Follow the program guidelines,
- Keep young readers on task,
- Make reading exciting and fun!
- Assist young readers in choosing books at the appropriate reading level,
- Accommodate the subject preferences of the younger child when possible,
- Alert staff when assistance or support is needed.
This program is a growth opportunity for young volunteers to experience handling an important responsibility, to experience fostering a relationship with a young library patron, to develop their social skills, and to gain confidence as a member of the library community. Our goal is that both volunteers and young readers will have a productive and engaging experience.